Monday, July 30, 2012

Ham & Cheese Waffles


Artsy Photo of the ham & cheese waffles, courtesy of my husband Shane


 The first waffle, an absolute failure. See below for details

This recipe came from one of my moms' cooking catalogues. It is a perfect blend of sweet and savory, and hearty enough to have as breakfast for dinner. I started off by using my favorite waffle recipe from the Better Homes & Garden cook book and once that was done I cooked up some applewood smoked bacon. I cooked the bacon until it was partially crispy and then chopped it up. Then I shredded some extra sharp Tillamook cheddar. The recipe said to add the batter to the greased, preheated waffle iron and sprinkle the cheese and bacon on top. This ended up being the biggest mistake. The waffle stuck to both sides of the iron and we had to spend about 10 minutes detaching it. The bottom picture is the result of this. After that fiasco, we decided to stir the ham and cheese into the batter and it worked much better that way. Once they were done we served them with warm maple syrup and they were fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment