Friday, April 22, 2011

Homemade Lasagna

Homemade Lasagna with a ground beef marinara, topped with parmesan and mozzarella

I have had the ingredients for a lasagna for weeks. So long in fact, that the cottage cheese I was going to use went bad. After purchasing a new carton of cottage cheese I finally had the time to make it. Monday I didn't have any class so I made it then. It is a pretty simple recipe I got from my mom, but I used more budget friendly ingredients. I started by cooking the lasagna noodles in salted water for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then I browned a pound of ground beef with salt and pepper. (Generally I use garlic as well but did not have it at the time). Once the meat was browned I added mariana sauce purchased for 84 cents at Walmart. Then I added about 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning. While the sauce was simmering I made the filling using a carton of cottage cheese, a cup of parmesan and a cup of mozzarella, more Italian seasoning and salt and pepper. (Amount can vary to liking). As soon as I finished the filling and the sauce I drained the noodles and let them cool. When the noodles cooled I started the layering process. I put down a layer of noodles, sauce, and filling and repeated the process until finished. I originally topped it with mozzarella and parmesan but it didn't have enough moisture. So later I added more sauce and cheese to the top and it made it much better. Wednesday night I took it over to Mark and Sarah's apartment and had a double date dinner with them and Shane. Lasagna is not something you make for just two people, it is way too time consuming for that:)

No comments:

Post a Comment