Sunday, October 9, 2011

Shane's Birthday Dinner



This year I wanted to make Shane dinner for his birthday, he chose lamb for the meat and wanted to be surprised for the rest. I wanted it to be a special dinner so I made Leg of Lamb, roasted carrots, garlic mashed potatoes, salad, and homemade bread. For the lamb, I had a big frozen leg of lamb that my mom got from her physical therapist and let it thaw for about 12 hours. Then I made slits in the lamb and sliced garlic into small pieces to put inside those slits. After that I sprinkled it with kosher salt and pepper. Then it went into the oven at 350 degrees and stayed in there for about an hour and a half. It was pretty pink, so if you like your meat well done, it should probably stay in for another 10-15 minutes. Once the meat was done I boiled the potatoes and cut up the carrots into thin sticks. When all of that preparation was done I added sour cream, milk and garlic (quantities as desired for consistency) to the mashed potatoes. Then I placed the carrot sticks on a cookie sheet, drizzled olive oil and sprinkled rosemary on top. Once this was complete I put the carrots in a 425 degree oven until they became crisp. Every couple of minutes I would turn the carrots to roast them evenly. I then prepared the salad and once that was complete The next step was to make the bread and my sister and Shane graciously helped, since I had a lot going on. We use my mom's simple recipe to make amazing bread.


Bread Recipe:

1 1/2 cups warm water
1 1/2 T yeast
1 T sugar
1 t (heaped) salt
add as much flour as it will take

Combine the warm water and yeast in a mixer and then add the rest of the ingredients. Once the dough reaches your desired consistency let it mix for about 10 minutes. Then knead it and place in a bread pan. Let the dough rise for about 15 minutes before putting it into a 350 degree oven and baking until it is done and lightly browned.



For dessert I used my Aunt Leanne's recipe for Peanut butter Ice Cream Pie. and it completed the meal. It was a lot of work but Shane had a great time and enjoyed the food, so it made it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment